Thursday, February 14, 2013

Rimmel Lasting Finish by Kate Moss Lipstick

     I have been a lover of lipstick for as long as I've been wearing makeup. When all of the girls at school were into lip glosses, I would pull out my trusty lipstick and be good to go! I don't know what it is- whether it's the color pay off or the lasting power but I have always preferred lipstick over lip gloss. I am a huge fan of all the bright colors, especially magentas and reds, so when I saw this line of lipsticks with a matte finish I had to try them.

     Ever since trying the Revlon ColorStay Ultimate Suede Lipstick in Finale that came out a few months ago I was hooked on matte lips. Oddly enough, those particular Revlon lipsticks weren't marketed as "matte" shades, but in my opinion the shade that I purchased totally was after it set. After seeing an all matte line coming from Rimmel, I beelined straight for the reddest shade I could find. I tried it and said that it was a little too dark for me in my CVS Haul. Rimmel then encouraged me to try the next lightest shade...

Rimmel Lasting Finish by Kate Moss Lipstick:

Price: $5.79
Size: 0.14 OZ.
Shades: 110 & 111
Shade Selection: 10
Marketed As: "Sumptuously rich matte color with a sublime comfort. With a Ruby Power enriched formula that produces intense velvet color all day!"
Finish: Matte/Satin (I will touch on this later).

Product Photos:





     I have to say that these just didn't do it for me. The colors in the line are pretty but they don't suit my skin tone. Here are my overall thoughts...

Overall Application: These go on very smoothly for a "matte" (you'll see why this is in quotes later) lipstick. They go on evenly and you can get a pretty precise line without using a lip brush.
Overall Color: These shades simply weren't for me. The lighter shade (110) was more of a coral shade than a red in my opinion. I could see how this would suit a more medium skin tone but it just didn't work on my fair skin. The deeper shade (111) was too dark. It's a beautiful red- even the right boldness and true red color that I look for! It was just simply too dark of a color that wouldn't suit any occasion for me. In my opinion, there was a huge jump between shades with these two. I just wish there was an in-between color!
Overall Formula: For a "matte" lipstick, these are not very matte. You can see in the photos (with are without flash) that there is still a sheen to the lips. I would market these as a satin finish lipstick rather than a matte. Other than that, the formula was great! It glided on, lasted really well, and came off easily for a matte (or satin) finish lipstick.
Overall Packaging: I wasn't blown away with this packaging. It is typical drugstore packaging that isn't horrible nor great. 
Overall Wear: After setting on the lips this product wasn't tacky or overly drying like a lot of other matte lipsticks. I wore this to dinner and it stayed put even through eating! For not being a stain I was really impressed with the wear of this lipstick. It didn't leave the "lip liner" look (where it wears completely off in the middle and leaves you looking like you only applied lip liner)- which is one of my pet peeves!

Bottom Line: I will be returning both of these shades. They didn't fit what I was looking for in a lip product and I will most likely not be trying any others. I purchased Ronnie Red from the newest MAC collection which has ended my long time search for the perfect matte red shade.

Love, Lacey

4 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Well thank you! That's so sweet! I don't know what it was, I just never reached for them.. :)

      Delete
  2. I have 101 and 104 from this line, and I love them both. I agree that they have great staying power!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :) They are a nice formula they just didn't work for me.. Bummer! I checked out your blog and it's so cute! Thanks for the follow. :)

      Delete