Saturday, February 23, 2013

A High and Low End Eyeshadow Primer

     I used eyeshadow primer for the first time a few years ago and haven't put it down since. Well, maybe that's a little dramatic but I love the stuff! It is essentially meant to extend the life of your eye makeup, prevent creasing, and improve the color vibrancy of your eyeshadow. I have only tried the two most popular brands (Urban Decay and Too Faced) but as soon as I found out about a drugstore version I couldn't wait to get my hands on it.

     Wet N Wild just released their new line featuring Fergie called Center Stage. It includes everything from eyeshadow and mascara to lip products and nail polish- not to mention a new eye shadow primer! For the sake of this post I mainly will be reviewing the product but also will be comparing it to the formula of the very popular Urban Decay Primer Potion.

Urban Decay Eyeshadow Primer Potion:
Price: $20
Size: Full Size is 0.37 OZ and the sample size (pictured above) is 0.13 OZ.
ShadeOriginal 
Shade Selection: 4
Marketed As: "Urban Decay's #1 best selling product. Apply before your eyeshadow for more vibrant crease-free color that lasts for 24 hours".

Wet N Wild Take on the Day Primer:
Price: $4.99
Size: 0.34 OZ.
Shade: For My Primas
Shade Selection: 1
Marketed As: "This revolutionary shade-adjusting technology starts out white and adjusts to match your exact skin tone. Unique primer properties smooth skin texture for perfect application".

Product Photos:


Urban Decay Primer Potion contains a doe foot applicator.
I use this to apply the product to my eyelid and blend with my finger.
*Urban Decay has since changed their packaging- it's now very similar to the Wet N Wild product. Please check out Urban Decay's link, which is provided above to view the new packaging*

The Wet N Wild Take on the Day Primer has very simple, yet effective packaging. You easily squeeze some product out onto your finger then apply it to your eyelid and blend.

-Urban Decay (left) and Wet N Wild (right)-

Application Photos:

-Urban Decay Primer Potion-
It cancels out any discoloration and redness creating the perfect canvas for eyeshadow.

-Wet N Wild's Take on the Day Primer-
This formula is less opaque so it does't leave the eyelid completely flawless.

Here is a photo showing the overall look after applying eyeshadow
Wet N Wild (left) and Urban Decay (right)
*I used the CoverGirl Shimmering Sands palette*

     I was very impressed with how this drugstore formula faired against it's very popular competitor. Here are my overall thoughts...

Urban Decay Eyeshadow Primer Potion:
Overall Application: There are die hard fans out there for this stuff and I understand why! It's great- just that simple. The application is very smooth and it blends out easily. I would be careful though because it does set pretty quickly. If you don't blend it out within 30 seconds it hardly budges. That happened to me when I was taking these photos!
Overall Color: I have gotten the chance to also try one of their new shades- Greed. It was very nice but I seem to prefer the original color. To me, I don't feel the need to have multiple shades of primer because I'm just going to cover them with eyeshadow. I want the true color of my shadow to show, not a mix of shadow and primer. I do commend Urban Decay for coming out with different shades though. They would be pretty worn alone and would also cater to a wider range of skin tones.
Overall Formula: It is blendable but not too silky. It absorbs quickly and does a great job of canceling out any discoloration on the eyelid. 
Overall Packaging: I was a fan of the doe foot applicator but since they have changed the packaging, I see why they did. Many customers were complaining that they could not get all of the product out of the curves of the tube with the doe foot applicator. Once I need to repurchase this product I am sure I will enjoy the newer packaging.
Overall Wear: This product is at the center of every eyeshadow primer conversation and for a reason, it does exactly what it is supposed to do. It boosts the color of the eyeshadow and made the overall eye look last all day without creasing.  

Wet N Wild Take On The Day Primer:
Overall Application: Application for this primer was great. I actually found my self applying too much product so a little goes a long way. It also blends nicely.
Overall Color: The product doesn't come out white like it claims- it is more of a very light, flesh tone color. I also don't think it "adjusted" to my particular skin tone but it did blend in without being noticeable.
Overall FormulaThis product is more watery and liquidy than its competitor. It actually has a very similar consistency to Too Faced Shadow Insurance- the other most popular eyeshadow primer. Even though it didn't leave my eyelid flawless, it did combat most of the redness and discoloration. For me, the finish of this primer was totally acceptable.
Overall Packaging: I liked this packaging but I did have one complaint. The opening where the product comes out is fairly big. It didn't cause too many problems but the product does come out fast when you squeeze the tube. 
Overall Wear: I was very pleased with the wear of this product! It held up great and just as well as a high-end formula. When I wore them side by side I noticed no differences in color vibrancy, creasing, or wear.

Bottom Line: If you are a fan of wearing eyeshadow and don't own a primer, you should! It is an extra step that takes only a few seconds but makes a huge impact. With this new Wet N Wild product being the first drugstore eyeshadow primer that I have tried, I am very happy! If you are in need or are wanting to try an eyeshadow primer than this drugstore one is perfect for the job. It is readily available at any drugstore where Wet N Wild is sold and is a forth of the price of both popular high-end brands. I will be sticking with the Wet N Wild drugstore formula and will be reaching it for it when my samples of high-end primers run out for two reasons...
1. PRICE
2. It gives the same result as a high-end formula.


Love, Lacey

4 comments:

  1. ooooh i'm definitely going to go out and try this next time i'm in the drugstore!!!!

    stephanieslook.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow! It's surprising how both of these products perform the same! Looks like the next primer I pick up will be drugstore :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know that's exactly what I thought! I really think you'd like it! :)

      Delete