Monday, February 11, 2013

Felt-Tip Eyeliner Comparison

     I am a huge fan of felt tip eyeliners. Over the years I have tried every formula but always find myself referring back to the trusty felt tip. If I am wearing eyeliner you better believe that it'll be winged. Winging out my eyeliner defines my fairly round eyes and elongates them. Felt tip eyeliners are the easiest for me to create a quick and easy winged liner look.

     I recently went out and purchased the Jordana FabuLiner because of Tracy and Stefanie from Eleventhgorgeous! I already owned two others that I had been using and thought a comparison would be very helpful, even for me! Doing these posts not only educates you guys but also myself! It helps me think about the pros and cons of each product helping me make a final decision on the things I try. So, which eyeliner will come out on top? Heck, I don't even know at this point! Here are all the details...

Price: $7.00
Size: About 0.030 OZ. (It is not labeled on the liner itself- this is coming from the products site).
Shade: Ultra Black
Shade Selection: 3
Marketed As: "Ultra easy-to-use felt-tip eyeliner pen for bold lining. Achieve a perfectly defined look of a liquid eyeliner without the mess! Lasts for 24 hours and removes easily with any eye makeup remover. Hypoallergenic, fragrance-free and won't irritate sensitive eyes. Safe for contact lens wearers".
Directions: "Line lashes close to the lashes for a bold look".

Price: $8.00-$10.00
Size:0.040 OZ.
Shade: Black
Shade Selection: 5
Marketed As: "This product has an easy-to-apply, pen-style nib, allowing you to create thick feline flicks and defined lines for a smudge-proof finish".
Directions: "Apply a thin line along the lash line and inner rim or smudge outside the rim for a sultry, smokey effect".

Price: $1.99 @ Walgreens
Size: 0.054 OZ.
Shade: 01 Black
Shade Selection: 2
Marketed As: "A felt-tip precision eyeliner that doesn't skip or drag. Convenient and easy to use."
Directions: "Begin by applying a thin line from the inner to the outer corner of you eyelid along your upper or lower lash line. For a more dramatic look, make your lines thicker and bolder".

Product Photos:




-Here are the swatches (Physicians Formula, Eyeko, and Jordana) before and after makeup remover. The Jordana product faded first, followed by Physicians Formula, and the Eyeko brand.

     Each of these eyeliners are great in their own way- but that's not why we are here. We want the best of the best, am I right?! Depending on what you are looking for in a liner any of these could work for you. To help you make your decision here are my overall thoughts...

Physicians Formula Eye Definer Felt-Tip Eye Marker:
Overall Application: This was the first felt-tip eyeliner I used on a daily basis. I was always happy with the color payoff and formula until this comparison! I never realized how sheer this product was until seeing it next to the other brands. Of course the pointed tip creates a great winged liner but you may have to work a little harder to achieve a bold, dark line.
Overall Availability: I had to include this category because some of these brands aren't readily found. This brand however is found most easily out of the three! It can be found at any drugstore and even some grocery store makeup sections.
Overall Formula: The formula is okay- definitely my least favorite out of the three. When it's new this product does the job but when you begin using it everyday the tip dries out fairly fast. The line then becomes inconsistent (as you can see above) and lining your eyes becomes more time consuming. I will give this product a thumps up for being hypoallergenic and fragrance free though.
Overall Packaging: It is very lightweight and the lid snaps on securely. I would recommend storing it upside down to ensure the tip doesn't dry out- that is one of the most common problems when dealing with this type of liner. 
Overall Wear: For everyday, normal wear this stays put. Once it sets (which takes about a minute) it hardly budges. Does it last a whole 24 hours like it claims? I would say no because I have noticed some fading throughout the day.

Eyeko Skinny Mini Liquid Eyeliner:
Overall Application: I love the skinny applicator this liner has- you can even get a thinner than than what's shown above! I can easily line very close to the lash line and inner corner which I love. It is a very solid, fluid black line that is achieved in only one stroke.
Overall Availability: Out of the three brands this one would be the hardest to find. It is a European brand that I received in my Birchbox last month. Oddly enough the site only features the "skinny" liner and not the "skinny mini" version which is being used in this comparison. If you are wanting this specific product you can purchase it here in a set which also includes a mascara.
Overall Formula: The formula is very smooth and opaque allowing it to glide on effortlessly.
Overall Packaging: Overall I am satisfied with this products packaging. It is very simple and appealing to me but theres one tiny flaw, the lid doesn't snap back on very easily. I have found myself not closing it completely after each use and that can dry out the product faster.
Overall Wear: I have no complaints here! It wore nicely and only faded a slight bit throughout the day.

Jordana FabuLiner Liquid Eyeliner:
Overall Application: This was very simple to use and held up to the marketed claims of no skipping or dragging. The wing was easy to achieve and you didn't have to go over your line multiple times.
Overall Availability: I had no idea where to find this after seeing it on YouTube. I didn't even know it was sold in stores until running into the tiny display at my local Walgreens. I haven't been able to find this brand at any CVS stores and I think availability even varies at Walgreens locations. If you're interested in this product I'd first try a few Walgreens stores near you or call around to find one that carries this brand.
Overall Formula: Similar to the Eyeko brand in that it's exactly what I look for in an eyeliner! Very black, opaque, and bold.
Overall Packaging: Out of all three this is my favorite packaging because it is such great quality! It is made from a very heavy plastic and the lid snaps on very securely. I was shocked by how great the packaging was for a $1.99 product!
Overall Wear: It wore nicely and I didn't notice any flaking or smudging.

Bottom Line: After taking a good and in-depth look at each of these liners I have finally made up my indecisive mind! I will no longer be using my Physicians Formula Felt- Tip Eye Marker and will be using both other brands until the Eyeko Skinny Mini Liquid Liner runs out. The Jordana Fabuliner Liquid Liner will then be my go to product for three reasons...
1. Price
2. Availbility
3. Formula
Love, Lacey

4 comments:

  1. Fyi, I just thought I would let you know that some Kmarts sell the entire Jordana line whereas Walgreens only will sell certain items & are not usually as good at restocking, at least mine isn't anyway. But my Kmart always has the Jordana eyeliner & their mascaras (which is also an awesome product!) as well as their gorgeous nail polishes! :) and the rest of their makeup line.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much for the information! I had no idea! :) I'll totally have to try some of their other products.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are so welcome! I searched forever at my Walgreens for the Jordana eyeliner & mascara when I kept seeing them on youtube and hearing how awesome they were supposed to be. But as I stated before, my Walgreens is horrible at restocking so they were always out of both of them. I was elated to find the whole line at my Kmart. Especially when I also started hearing how wonderful their line of glitter nail polishes were! :)

      Delete
  3. Great tips! This is an article I will bookmark and refer to! eyeliner tips

    ReplyDelete