Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Maybelline Color Whisper Lip Color

     I finally came around and decided to try this new line of Maybelline lip products. Being a HUGE fan of the Revlon Lip Butters which came out last August, I was a little hesitant to try a similar product from a rival company. I have been wearing these for a few days and have found some pros and cons that I'd like to share with you. I tend to go for the darker shades in lines like these that are marketed as sheer products with washes of color. Here are the three shades that I purchased...

Size: 0.11 OZ.
Shades Purchased: Who Wore It Red-er, Rose of Attraction, and A Plum Prospect.
Shade Selection: 20
Marketed As: " Get truly translucent gel color. Sexy, soft, see through color with no heavy waxes or oils, just a kiss of shine".
Directions: "Apply lipcolor starting in the center of your upper lip. Work from the center to the outer edges following the contours of your mouth. Then glide across the entire bottom lip".
Product Photos:



Here are photos on the lips as well as swatches.
The swatches show what the product looks like built up and sheered out.
-Who Wore It Red-er-
-Rose of Attraction-
-A Plum Prospect-

     I really enjoyed the colors that I ended up purchsing. For me, Rose of Attraction (the lightest of the three) was a really nice neutral that I wore with minimal makeup to class. The amount of shine these give off is wonderful and really makes the lips pop without being too overbearing. I would pair the other two colors that I purchased with a flawless face and winged liner- you can never go wrong there! Here are my overall throughts of this line...

Overall Application: These apply very smoothly and are also the glossiest lipstick product that I own! I enjoy big, bold lip colors so I found myself layering the product on.
Overall Color: The colors are amazing once on the lips, but I have some problems... The names and packaging of these products are very misleading. The Who Wore It Red-er shade is essentially a magenta pink! With that being said the shade range is phenomenal. Not only do they have a crazy amount of shades for every skin tone but they are all beautiful! These definitely have the upper hand on the Revlon lip butter's in this category and I can't believe I'm saying that! I will say though that the shade numbers DO NOT go in order. In the display the colors do not range from lightest to darkest so keep that in mind.
Overall Formula: If you love very thin lip products than these are for you! Personally, I enjoy a thicker lip product that stays put because I am always blotting my lips together. These moved around too much on my lips and I found myself having to wipe around my lip line to rid of the extra product. All in all, these were very comfortable and not drying but a little too thin for my taste.
Overall Packaging: This was definitely something that bothered me. The color of the packaging doesn't reflect the shade of the actual product inside at all. I would say the best represented shade by the packaging out of the three that I purchased was Who Wore It Red-er. Of course this particular shades name didn't accurately describe the product but at least the packaging came close! Other than that Rose of Attraction looks like a bright, watermelon pink shade by the packaging and A Plum Prospect looks like it would be an overly purple color on the lips. The packaging is also very thin and doesn't seem durable enough to last in a makeup or travel bag.
Overall Scent: These smell wonderful! It took me a second to really put my finger on it but they smell like fruit loops! Very fruity and refreshing.
Overall Wear: Comparing these to the lip butters from Revlon the wear is not great. On me, they didn't even last an hour- and that was without eating or drinking! Since the formula is so light it doesn't set into the lips- and honestly I think that is what Maybelline was going for. So for me, it was just a matter of personal preference. 

Bottom Line: This is truly a great, new Maybelline line that I'm sure will be very popular. For me in particular they didn't meet what I wanted or needed in a lip product. These would be great for people who want a sheer wash of color because they are easy to wear and easy to apply in a rush! Being the bold lip person that I am, I need a thicker lip product that doesn't stray outside of my lip line. I will be keeping Rose of Attraction for more laid back days and the Who Wore It Red-er shade because out of the three that was my favorite- and the boldest...go figure!  

Love, Lacey

4 comments:

  1. I own two, and it looks like I need to go and get three more :D these are very pretty shades. I eventually want to get them all lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't it crazy haha! I don't tend to go for neutral shades but I'm seriously thinking about going and looking for more of the lighter shades too! :)

      Delete
  2. Great review. I liked that you appreciated the product for its goal despite it not really being your cup of tea. ^^ I personally LOVE this product, and own 6 of the 20 shades. Just an idea for application of this product to deepen the pigment: use a lipstain first, and the whisper shade on top. Its my favorite way to use the product and it really gives more tonality and depth to your lip color. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! I can not wait to start doing these in depth reviews again... I really loved doing them! I love your tip and will definitely be trying it soon- I never thought of that! :)

      Delete