Monday, February 18, 2013

Maybelline New York Mascara

     Maybelline has come out with two new mascaras that are very popular recently. Being the mascara junkie that I am I had to try them. Someone once told me that you should never waste your money on a  high-end mascara because drugstore formulas are just as good! I don't know about you but lately I'm finding that statement true! Here is a comparison of the two latest Maybelline mascaras thatI have purchased...

The Mega Plush Volum' Express Mascara

Price: $7.49
Size0.30 FL. OZ.
Shade: Very Black- not waterproof.
Marketed As: "Introducing Maybelline's first gel-mousse mascara. It contains 40% less waxes for massive, yet supple lashes. The patented Flexor Brush gently coats every lash with mega volume that's never stiff and never brittle. Opthamologist tested and contact lens safe".
Directions: "For best results place the Flexor Brush against lashes and sweep from root to tip until a plush look is achieved. Removes easily with Maybelline New York Expert Eyes Oil Free Makeup Remover."

Price: $7.49
Size0.30 FL. OZ.
Shade: Very Black- not waterproof.
Marketed As: "Introducing our revolutionary, patented rocket brush. It's hard core and evenly spaced soft bristles give 8x the volume from root to tip, in rocket time! Opthamologist tested. Contact lens safe. Safe for sensitive eyes. Made in the USA."
Directions: "For best results, apply the rocket brush against your lashes from root to tip, until your lashes take off to an explosive level of volume. Removes easily with soap and water or 100% oil-free eye makeup remover".

Product and Brush Photos:







Applicator Details
     The Mega Plush Volum' Express (left): This mascara has a longer, soft, natural bristled brush. It has a pivot point on the wand which makes it very flexible. It has a mix of short, medium, and long bristles that are fuller in the middle and get shorter toward both ends.

     The Rocket Volum' Express (right): This mascara brush lacks the pivot point and natural bristles of the Mega Plush mascara. It has a plastic, short bristled brush that is much stiffer when applying product. This brush contains the same size, medium bristles around the middle. The top one third and bottom two rows of this brush contain smaller bristles (which you can see in the photo above).

Application Photos: Natural lashes with no mascara- three coats. 

NOTE: My eyelashes are not curled.

      -The Rocket Mascara-                                                                           -The Mega Plush Mascara-

     Sorry the photos don't exactly line up. Doing a side by side comparison was really important to me and I am still getting used to this blogging site! I took all of these pictures on the same day and at the same time so I don't know why the lighting is different.




     Both of these mascaras were impressive but one product came out on top. Here are my overall thoughts...

The Mega Plush Volum' Express Mascara:
Overall Application/Brush: I was definitely in favor of this brush before even trying these two products. I have always been a fan of natural bristled brushes (not the plastic wands). This brush is VERY flexible though, almost too flexible for my taste. I like to really coat my lashes with mascara and after the first one or two coats, this brush wasn't sturdy enough to get into my lashes. Being a soft bristled brush and having the pivotal wand makes it too flexible for multiple coats of mascara.
Overall Color: I always go for black mascaras and this time was no different. I found the "very black" shade and decided to purchase it. Little did I know that there was an even darker shade! I don't know if they carried the darker color at my CVS but I wish they could be a little more up front with naming their shades. I mean come on, very black and blackest black?! How was I supposed to know! With that being said, this color is black enough for my taste.
Overall First Impression: This mascara literally blew me away after using it for the first time. I actually had my mom take pictures of my lashes- which inspired me to start this blog! The length was incredible and it didn't compare to any other mascara that I own. I LOVED it. Unfortunately, after that application I couldn't get those same results. It was the weirdest thing.
Overall Formula: The formula is nice with this product. It does not leave your lashes feeling brittle or stiff, just like it claims! I would agree that it gave my lashes a plush look the first time I applied it but I wasn't able to achieve the same results in further uses and these photos. I want a formula that I can rely on and this definitely doesn't give me that. It also doesn't do too much volume wise. I tend to have longer, fine lashes- so to me volume is more important than length. I like directing my lashes and fanning them out evenly across my eye and this mascara wasn't great for that. Maybe because of the "plushness" of this mascara it doesn't have much hold. With that begin said I'd be cautious if you need this mascara to hold a curl.
Overall Packaging: I love the color of this packaging. The teal and pink looks so cute together! It would be great for keeping in a makeup bag or purse because it would be easily found due to the bright colors.
Overall Wear: This mascara didn't smudge, fade, or flake. The wear of this mascara was great!

The Rocket Volum' Express Mascara:
Overall Application/Brush: I must say that this brush made me love plastic brushes. I always found them scary and hard to use- but not this one! I loved that it was stiff enough to separate my lashes even when they already had product on them! 
Overall Color: Same as above. I bought "very black" thinking it was the darkest shade. Please Maybelline make this problem a little easier for consumers! 
Overall First Impression: I liked this mascara after the first application. I did not like it as much Mega Plush after the first use but as you know, Mega Plush was very inconsistent. I was surprised that I liked this wand and brush as much as I did and was happy with the end result.
Overall Formula: This formula is a little brittle compared to Mega Plush but it was nothing that bothered me. I placed my lashes by fanning them out during the application and that small amount of "brittleness" I believe helped hold them in place. This was marketed and said to be a very volumizing mascara, so when I tried this I was a little taken back. I would say that this added more volume to my lashes than Mega Plush, but for the "8x the volume" claim, I was a little let down.
Overall Packaging: Even though I love the color of the Mega Plush packaging, I love this one even more! It is sleeker than its competitor and still has those fun bold colors. I will say that the rubber stopper (which cleans off the extra mascara on the wand before application) at the opening of the product was slightly loose with the one I purchased. I can see it pull up, away from the packaging as I remove the wand. This doesn't cause much of a problem, I just thought I'd let you know!
Overall Wear: This mascara also wore well and there was no problem with smudging, flaking, or fading!

Bottom Line: After using these mascaras for about a week I have chosen to keep the Maybelline Rocket Volum' Express Mascara and to return the Maybelline Mega Plush Volum' Express Mascara for four reasons...
1. Hold
2. Application Consistency
3. Seperation
4. Fullness

Love, Lacey





7 comments:

  1. I think the Rocket Volum' Express Mascara looks the best :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow both mascaras looked really great on you :D i would've kept both! haha

    My Blog: Caught in a Daze.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much! I actually haven't gotten the chance to return the Mega Plush one yet so I still use it occasionally. Love your blog and I just followed! :)

      Delete
  3. hay new follower and this is a great review
    follow back, if you like ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow thank you! I just checked out your site and LOVE it! I love all of the bold colors you put into your looks! Followed back. :)

      Delete
  4. GREAT review girl! i'm a total mascara junkie and this is by far my fave brand. haha i'll probably end up getting both ;)

    http://streetlily.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete