Monday, March 4, 2013

The Ins and Outs of BB Cream + A Drugstore Review

     Many of you have probably heard of the newest fad... BB Cream. BB Cream (aka Beauty Balm) is essentially a tinted moisturizer on steroids. It doesn't have as much coverage as a foundation but does have added skin benefits along with high levels of SPF. They supposedly "treat, hydrate, prime, protect, and camouflage" any imperfections on the skin. BB Cream originated in Asia and has been brought to the US within the last two years. It seems as though all of the drugstore makeup companies as well as high-end brands have jumped on the bandwagon and came out with their own version.

     From what I have heard US Beauty Balms aren't nearly what they are in Asia. I even heard that one local drugstore brand took their tinted moisturizer, changed the label and started calling it a BB Cream! Essentially, this popular product is meant to cut down your beauty routine, heal your skin, and even out your skin tone while protecting it from the sun. Typically these formulas are said to be best for people with dry and/or mature skin due to the moisturizing benefit. However, I have heard of people with combination to oily skin having success with these if they set them with a powder. Be prepared to touch up/blot throughout the day though!

     I have a quick story to explain the differences that I have experienced with tinted moisturizer and BB Cream. Last year I was at Sephora and was talking to a makeup artist from Urban Decay. I was asking her for a lighter coverage foundation (perfect for spring and summer) that would be heavy enough to cover up most of my acne scarring but also let my skin breathe. She introduced me to their tinted moisturizer and I fell in love immediately. It looked flawless after she applied it and was exactly what I wanted. It didn't leave my skin looking flawless, but left it looking natural and radiant which was exactly what I was looking for- so I bought it! All the way home I kept looking in the mirror and my face just kept getting darker and darker, oranger and oranger... uh oh! I had to take it off before going out that same night! I was devastated because I loved the initial finish and look of the product. I tried multiple brands of primers in conjunction with this Urban Decay tinted moisturizer with no luck and had to return the product.

     What actually ended up happening was that the product was oxidizing on my skin. Oxidization occurs between the product and the skins surface. It is essentially the makeup reacting chemically to the oils, humidity, and properties of your skin. This occurs more in some people and less in others- if you've had this happen to you, you know exactly what I am talking about.

     This personal story leads me to my first experience with BB Cream. After being disappointed with this Urban Decay product I headed back to Sephora in hopes of finding a summer product to even out my skin tone. A worker introduced me to the Smashbox Camera Ready BB Cream with SPF 35 and I was hooked. I did not have the same oxidation problem so there was no need for me to use a primer (it was already included in the product). During that time I was experiencing quite a few bumps on the sides of my nose under my eyes. As soon as I started using this Beauty Balm, the bumps disappeared. Coincidence? I think not! I used the entire product and loved my overall experience with my first BB cream.

     Okay, story time is over! Now, lets get into my review of the first drugstore BB cream I have tried...

Maybelline Dream Fresh BB Cream 8-in-1 Beauty Balm Skin Perfector:
Price: $8.99
Size: 1.0 FL. OZ.
Shade Purchased: 100 Light
Shade Selection: 5
Marketed As: "The one-step wonder for a good skin day, everyday. Packed with 8 great skin benefits for instant skin perfection ideal for normal skin. It blurs imperfections, brightens, evens skin tone, smooths, hydrates, enhances, protects with SPF 30, and contains 0% oils and heavy ingredients".
Directions: "Apply smoothly and evenly to your face and blend with your fingertips".
Finish: Dewy

Product Photos:


-The product is about the same consistency as a tinted moisturizer and the swatch is pretty sheer.

Coverage Photos:                                              ONE COAT
            (applied with Sigma F84 Angled Kabuki)


FROM ONE-TWO COATS

- I was pleased to see that this product was indeed buildable.

     A friend who really loves the product encouraged me to try this and I am so glad she recommended it! Thanks so much Emily! After using it and formulating my opinion here are my overall thoughts... 

Overall Application: I first applied this BB cream with my fingertips as the directions suggested. I thought it really did boost my complexion especially when I had no other form of makeup on. After getting it home and playing around with it, I realized that applying it what a brush upped the coverage (as it usually does) which I definitely need. It was very blendable and disappeared into the skin quickly.
Overall Color: I found even the lightest shade in the line a little dark for me, but this won't be a problem when it comes to be summer time. It had more of an orange base rather than pink undertones also. It didn't match me perfectly but with only having five shades in the line it came pretty close.
Overall Coverage: The coverage is what I expected with this product. I knew that it was going to be fairly sheer which is something I don't typically go for in a foundation like product. In my opinion, why waste my time putting on something very sheer when you could put on a flawless face in the same amount of time! With that being said, I know not everyone has as much discoloration as I do when it comes to their skin. If you are lucky enough to have an even skin tone naturally, I see how this product would be great for you. It would add light coverage plus a little radiance to make your skin look healthy and youthful.
Overall Formula: After trying (and loving) the higher-end Smashbox BB Cream I must say I wasn't all that impressed with this formula. From what I have seen, the more expensive brands are thicker and contain even more key ingredients to help improve the skin. For a drugstore product this didn't disappoint me, it just didn't impress me more than the high-end version. I have to add that I used a lot of product also. I felt more comfortable applying the second coat and found myself using more product than what is probably recommended. I am sure that is just because I am used to more coverage on a daily basis.
Overall Packaging: From what I have seen, this is typical BB Cream packaging. I find these easy to use and apply. I just literally hold the tube up to my face and squeeze a line of product onto each cheek, my chin, and forehead in order to not waste any. I have no complaints here!
Overall Scent: There is not a scent that you notice while putting it on. It does however have an odd scent that isn't off putting or on the other hand pleasant to me. 
Overall Wear: The wear of this product was nice and typical for a Beauty Balm. I set it with powder out of habit and it seemed to last really well. Keep in mind that I have dry skin- the outcome might differ if you have oily to combination skin.

Bottom Line: I loved trying out my first drugstore BB Cream- I can't believe it took me this long! I was happy with the overall experience but have decided to return it. I hate saying that but really feel like I won't get any use out of it until summer and by then I might need a darker shade! Just because these products are supposed to be so great for the skin I will probably look into a high-end version when summer is around the corner. Until then I will be sticking with my more heavy coverage foundations for one reason and one reason only...
1. Coverage

P.S. I quickly want to add that I have also tried the Garnier Skin Renew BB Cream and actually prefer this Maybelline version. 
Thanks again Em!
Love, Lacey

No comments:

Post a Comment