Wednesday, March 20, 2013

Coconut Oil Hair Treatment

     I have been using coconut oil for about five months now. My cousin generously gave me a small container of it to try as a moisturizer and I fell in love! My love grew deeper as I realized the endless possibilities for this oil. You can use it on your skin, nails, hair and lips, as well as in the kitchen!

     I began using it as a spot treatment moisturizer on the extra dry areas of my face. I had recently started Retin-A and was going through the dreaded "peeling phase" as I called it. It added extra moisture to the areas I needed it without making things too greasy. I also loved putting it on my lips before bed. It wasn't until recently that I came across Nature Knockout's video that I started trying it on my hair. With the help of YouTube beauty guru Julie G and her video here I found the exact steps of how to use it for my dry/split ends. I wanted to share this tip with you and explain exactly how I use it! I find this kind of post so helpful because this stuff is very affordable! You can get a whole 16 OZ. tub for only $12.79 here. This is my step by step regimen on how to moisturize those dry ends...

*Please keep in mind that this oil is very fragrant! If you don't like coconut or it's smell this might not be for you.*

Step 1: Brush your hair. I use my Tangle Teezer to make sure I rid of all tangles. I then pull all of my hair forward over each shoulder.
Step 2: Get out your coconut oil, a spoon, and a hair clip.
Step 3: Take a small spoonful and warm it up in the palms of your hands- I do this by rubbing my hands together with the product in between. The oil will then melt into a more liquid state but don't worry if all of the pieces don't completely melt. Coconut oil is solid at room temperate but melts between 97 and 104 ˚F.

Step 4: Use what is on your hands to coat the ends of your hair. I try to only put the oil from my ears down, this way you are avoiding your roots. How much product you apply is completely up to you. I typically coat the hair pretty well to make sure every stand is getting product.
Step 5: After applying the desired amount twist your hair up. It doesn't necessarily have to be a bun- the goal is to just get it out of the way.
Step 6: Now we wait... You can leave it on anywhere from 10 minutes to 1 hour because it will not hurt your hair! I usually try to leave mine on for about 30 minutes.

Step 7: Shower as normal. I shampoo- making sure to get all of the oil out and still use a light conditioner.
Step 8: Style your hair as desired. You should have softer ends and more manageable hair!

     So there you have it! My secret (and affordable) way to condition my dry/split ends. I try to do this about 1-3 times a week and saw improvement after the first use. If you don't see substantial results after using it for the first time, keep trying! My hair became considerably softer and healthier looking after the first 2 weeks. 

Please let me know if you try this and your thoughts on the results!
Also, if you use coconut oil in other ways I would love to hear about them.
Love, Lacey

2 comments:

  1. oooh i'm gonna try this...i keep seeing coconut oil everywhere but pass it up because i just think eh what am i going to use that for...but now so many bloggers are posting about it!

    stephanieslook.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really is a great, inexpensive product! I really want to try cooking with it but have no idea what to make! Ha. :)

      Delete