Monday, March 25, 2013

Revlon Colorstay Ultimate Suede Lipstick

     Everyone and their sister is posting reviews of these so I thought I would join the party! This was a product that I was really into leading up to last Christmas. This new lip line came out around late November- early December and had mixed reviews. Some said they were nice because they were long lasting and came in a beautiful array of shades. Others said they were very drying and uncomfortable to wear. I purchased one shade as soon as I saw them in the drugstore and another just recently. I decided to finally do this review because I have more than one color to show you and want to share my overall thoughts on this new lipstick formula from Revlon.

Price: $7.99
Size: 0.80 OZ.
Shades: 005 Muse and 095 Finale
Shade Selection: 20
Marketed As: "Is your lipstick giving you both moisture and wear? This velvety soft formula with moisturizing shea butter and aloe is fool proof and doesn't quit. Apply once and go. This product adds instant moisture, all-day color, and a soft suede finish".
Directions: "Apply onto clean, smooth lips. Can be used with or without lip liner".
Finish: Suede (satin-matte)

Product Photos:




Application Photos:
-005  Muse-


-095 Finale-


     These are very different from any drugstore lipstick formula that I have tried. They are long lasting but can be pretty uncomfortable to wear. Here are my overall thoughts...

Overall Application: These glide on very easily and the color is buildable during application. I found myself going over my lips anywhere from 3-5 times to get the color I wanted. They feel somewhat slick immediately after application but set to an uncomfortable finish. They are pretty glossy right off the bat but again change after about three minutes.
Overall Color: The colors in the line are very pretty and range from nudes to pinks to reds. I was a little let down with Muse because I thought it would be more impactful on the lips. I assumed it was a bright magenta but after applying it I realized that it came off with more of a cool pink look that wasn't bright enough from my taste. I was very pleased with the red shade though. This was the first shade that I purchased and loved the true red color. It was bold but not too bright.
Overall Formula: Ehh.. I am not a huge fan of this formula. The idea is neat (it's supposed to be a long wearing product that glides on smoothly and adds moisture to your lips) but the feel after it sets is completely different. The initial feel of this formula is very nice but it becomes uncomfortably tacky after 20 minutes and stays that way for 1-2 hours. Eventually this feeling will subside and I have even found that applying chapstick over the product helps. I do believe the sticky feeling helps the product live up to its long-wearing claims but I do not agree that this product "adds instant moisture" at all.
Overall Packaging: I have no problem with the packaging of this product. It looks nice and closes securely. The color of the packaging could be a little more accurate in showing the color of the actual product but all in all I am satisfied.
Overall Scent: This line has a scent that is almost undetectable. If you really get up close and personal with this lipstick it has a light vanilla floral scent. Noting off putting, it's actually kinda nice! Like I said though, you will detect nothing in the scent department during application.
Overall Wear: This is definitely a long wearing product. The Ultimate Suede name is misleading though. Yes, this lipstick glides on nicely and comfortably but it does not add moisture to your lips whatsoever. This product lasted nicely through dinner but continued to look dry on my lips.

Bottom Line: This was a formula that I went back and forth with. When I first purchased the red color I was willing to put up with the tackiness to have matte red lips. However, the fuchsia shade was a disappointment. It was no where near as bright as I was looking for. I have other pink lip products that I am happy with so I will be keeping 095 Finale and will be returning 005 Muse for two reasons...
1. Color
2. Tackiness


Please follow my blog through Bloglovin' so you never miss a post! You can click the permanent link on the right side of this page located under my blog archive. Thank you!
Love, Lacey

2 comments:

  1. I still haven't tried these yet! I'm such a lip product hoarder, these just haven't appealed to me. Maybe the name is what's putting me off. Suede doesn't sound like a texture I would enjoy on my lips. I might still give them a try! Thanks for sharing!

    SarahSee. Beauty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha I totally agree on the suede aspect. I would say that I overall didn't love the formula. I feel like if I found a great, unique color in the line that I loved though I'd be willing to put up with it! :)

      Delete