Saturday, March 23, 2013

Physicians Formula Organic Wear Jumbo Lash vs. FakeOut Mascara

     Even though I have gone through countless drugstore mascaras I had never tried one from Physicians Formula. I had heard amazing things about their Jumbo Lash mascara and decided to give it a try. While at CVS I saw the newer FakeOut version and decided to do a comparison. Both versions have an extremely dry formula that I thought I would really enjoy. When it comes to dry vs. wet mascaras, I always find myself favoring the drier formulas. Here is my comparison...

Physicians Formula Organic Wear 100% Origin Jumbo Lash Mascara:
Price: $9.99
Size: 0.26 OZ.
Shade: Ultra Black
Marketed As: "A mascara where 100% of the total ingredients are from natural origin and 70% of the total ingredients are from organic farming. This offers 100% dramatic volume and glamor with the help of the Organisoy® which moisturizers and nourishes lashes. It also includes Eco-Olive®, a natural antioxidant which shields lashes from harsh environmental aggressors. Hypoallergenic, fragrance free, and optamologist approved".
Directions: "Sweep mascara brush from lash base to tips.  Apply multiple coats for added volume. Can easily be washed off with soap and water or removed with Physicians Formula Eye Makeup Remover Pads or Lotions".

Physicians Formula Organic Wear 100% Natural Origin FakeOut Mascara:
Price: $9.99
Size: 0.26 OZ.
Shade: Black
Marketed As: "The 1st EVER mascara with 100% natural origin lash extension fibers for the full-on fringe of false lashes without irritation. Innovative formula amplifies lash volume, length, and curl. Oversized brush creates a fabulously false lash effect instantly! 100% of the total ingredients are from natural origin and 70% are from organic farming. Hypoallergenic, fragrance free, safe for sensitive eyes and contact lens wearers, and optamologist approved".
Directions: "Sweep mascara brush from lash base to tips. Apply multiple coats for added volume".
 Product Photos:







Applicator Details
     Jumbo Lash (left): This mascara has a very thick, plastic wand with short bristles. The brush is wider in the center then begins tapering in around the first and last four rows. There is no pivotal point on the wand and the bristles are fairly flexible.

     FakeOut (right): This brush is very similar to Jumbo Lash. However, there are some very small difference when you look closely. This wand is slightly less thick than the other and also has no pivotal point. The base where the bristles attach is thinner on this wand making the bristles appear longer. This brush is rounder through the middle but tapers just the same as Jumbo Lash towards the ends.

With both brushes bristle placement is very similar and they are the same length.

Application Photos: Natural lashes with no mascara- three coats.
Note: My eyelashes are not curled.

            -Jumbo Lash-                                                                                              -FakeOut-












     I hands down was disappointed with both of these mascaras. They did not live up to all of the hype that I had been hearing and that shocked me! The formula is very different than anything I had tried but both are pretty similar with regard to everything except the end result. If you are someone who values organic products, this could be for you. I will give this brand props for having the only drugstore organic mascara on the market that I know of. Personally, I don't go out of my way in search of organic makeup products so that wasn't a huge selling point for me. I feel like each of these mascaras would cater to an individual preference with one being more dramatic and one looking more natural. Here are my overall thoughts...

Physicians Formula Organic Wear 100% Origin Jumbo Lash Mascara:
Overall Application: Application regarding the brush was similar to any other plastic bristled brush for me. I felt as though it was poking my eye and found it uncomfortable during application. It could be the mix of the wand and formula but I found that if any of this got into my eye, it really bothered me! The brush didn't do much for the formula and vice versa in my opinion.
Overall Color: I had nothing negative to say about the color of this product. It was very black and coated my lashes evenly with color.
Overall Formula: As I mentioned before this was a very odd formulation for me. It was VERY dry and not smooth during application. Even though removing it was a breeze it felt like it never set onto my lashes. I tend to have itchy eyes and will gently touch my lashes throughout the day and found that when I did, my fingers would stick to my lashes and product would rub off on them. I hated this aspect because after I had taken the time to separate my lashes during application, if I pinched a few together during the day they would stick together and stay that way. Like I said before, this aspect might be the reason it removes so easily, but I'd rather it set and be harder to remove. As for my lashes I would have to add at least two coats to be happy with this mascara and sometimes I don't have the time to layer on multiple coats! I felt like two almost wasn't enough but three began to look clumpy. Oddly enough, this formula made my lashes longer and fuller than the FakeOut formula which was supposed to create a "fake lash look". I liked the length but the overall effect was too "spidery" for me. This formula would be best for someone who likes very prominent and dramatic lashes everyday. This mascara really coats on the product and for me, it is just too unnatural looking for daily wear.
Overall Packaging: As for both packagings I was very unimpressed. I like to put one coat of mascara on, wait about a minute, then keep building for more volume and length. With this packaging I couldn't stand the tube upright very easily in between coats. The bottom is very narrow and would cause the mascara to fall over multiple times. Where you hold the wand (the lid) ended up being very awkward in my hands and I had to keep repositioning the wand to get a comfortable hold. Other than that it is very eye-catching. The bright, metallic, curvy packaging is very neat and different than other drugstore mascara packaging.
Overall Scent: Fragrance free? What does that exactly mean? To me I always thought it meant that no fragrance would be detected. However, with this formula it could mean that no artificial fragrance was added. This has a moderate organic grassy smell that isn't very pleasant to me. I tend to like herbal smells (hello Kiehl's shampoo anyone?) but this didn't do it for me.
Overall Wear: I didn't have any problems with wear. It didn't smudge, transfer, fade, or flake.

Physicians Formula Organic Wear 100% Natural Origin FakeOut Mascara:
Overall Application: The over all application was very similar to Jumbo Lash because the brushes are almost identical. I didn't notice any differences while applying this mascara even though this brush is slightly slimmer with longer bristles. I also had the same problem with this formula as Jumbo Lash in the fact that when it got into my eye it bothered me more than any other mascara I've tried. It wasn't a burning sensation by any means, it just felt irritated and gritty.
Overall Color: I felt as though this black was not as opaque or deep in color than the Jumbo Lash mascara. I am aware that this shade was "Black" instead of "Ultra Black" so I understand that there was a slight difference in color. However, I have said this before when it comes to drugstore mascara shades but please make this more simple for the consumer. When buying both mascaras I didn't notice CVS carrying the "Ultra Black" version of this mascara so I was a little confused.
Overall Formula: I found this formula less dry than it's competitor but the differences do not stop there. I will say that this particular formula quickly built up more volume, looked less spidery, and was more natural looking than Jumbo Lash. I was let down with the lengthening aspect of this formula especially when comparing it to the other version. Out of the two this would be the best choice for people who like more natural looking lashes. However, I will admit that there are better drugstore alternatives (CoverGirl Clump Crusher) on the market if that is what you prefer.
Overall Packaging: Same as above explanation. It hardly stood up in between coats and was awkward in my hand during application.
Overall Scent: I found this scent pretty much identical to Jumbo Lash. It also claims to be fragrance free and smells very organic and grassy.
Overall Wear: I found this products wear the same as it's competitor. I had no major problems and it didn't seem to smudge, transfer, fade, or flake.

Bottom Line: I was very disappointed with my first two Physicians Formula mascara purchases. For being a slightly more expensive than the typical drugstore brand I was looking for better quality and was let down. It's quite funny, I liked the lengthening and curling benefits of Jumbo Lash and the softness and natural looking qualities of FakeOut- are we sure these formulas didn't get switched during packaging?! If there was a formula that combined those aspects I would love to give it a try but until then I will be returning both of these mascaras. I am also not looking to purchase another mascara from this brand in the near future because of three reasons...
1. Extremely dry formula
2. Brush
3. Packaging
4. Already own better alternatives


P.S. I have heard through the grapevine that Blogger is doing away with Google Friend Connect which is very unfortunate! This means that in order to continue following my blog you will need to visit this link here. For those of you that take the time to do this extra step, thank you from the bottom of my heart. Even though I am new at the whole blogging thing, I love hearing from the very positive and inspirational girls I have been able to connect with through this blogging community. Thank you!

Love, Lacey


No comments:

Post a Comment