Tuesday, April 2, 2013

L'Oreal Paris Colour Caresse Wet Shine Stain

     I passed these up numerous times while at the drugstore with no interest in them whatsoever. I have a couple drugstore lip stain formulas that I am happy with and didn't see the point in picking up another. I saw other bloggers doing posts on them and the colors they had were beautiful. That is the main reason I decided to pick up a few and to get my own opinion on them! When I am planning on doing a review or comparison on a certain product I usually stay clear of any posts or opinions so that I am not swayed in any one direction. I want to get my initial, personal opinion out there first then I can read all I want! I saw a couple of colors on the display that jumped out at me even though CVS was out of many shades. Here is my review...

L'Oreal Paris Colour Caresse Wet Shine Stain:

Price: $9.99
Size: 0.21 FL OZ.
Shades: 187 Infinite Fuchsia and 184 Rose On and On
Shade Selection: 12
Marketed As: "Discover a stain that thinks it's a gloss. Now hydration & shine meet lasting, lightweight color. Colour Caresse Wet Shine Stain combines the power of a lip stain with lip-gloss luster. This next generation lip stain, formulated with a blend of light hydrating oils & concentrated pigments, delivers lasting color with a glossy finish. Packed with 30% water, Colour Caresse Wet Shine Stain leaves lips soft, comfortable and hydrated for up to 6 hours".
Directions: "With just one swipe over the contours of the lips, experience pure color with brilliant shine".

Product Photos:




Applicator Details
They have a slanted doe foot applicator that is very soft and flexible. They also have a slight middle indention on both sides. This allows product to gather so you aren't having to dip the applicator back into the product multiple times during application.

                                               -Initial Color-                                   -Stain-

Application Photos:
 184 Rose On and On

Product's initial color

Product's stain after wearing off

187 Infinite Fuchsia

Product's initial color

Product's stain after wearing off

This was a very unique formula that was quite interesting. It glided on smoothly but I was unsatisfied with the quality of the actual staining element. Here are my overall thoughts...

Overall Application: I wasn't totally in love with the way these new stains applied. They had a very wet and thin formula that goes on fairly sheer. I noticed that during my first application I received a lot more color on my bottom lip than I did my top and I wasn't pleased. I found myself adding more product to my top lip just to even out the overall color payoff. I did this by using the small indention in the middle of the applicator to deposit more product to my upper lip. The applicator fit my lips nicely and the color was buildable. The product felt very comfortable after the initial application and was also very glossy. As for 187 Infinite Fuchsia, the color pay off was more dramatic during application but that usually rings true with any drugstore lip product line.
Overall Color: 184 Rose On and On is a very wearable everyday shade for me. It gives my face enough color to look put together but doesn't stand out as a bold lip color. It is a rosy shade that in some lights can seem to have a coral undertone. I was really pleased with this color and could see myself reaching for it on minimal makeup days. 187 Infinite Fuchsia was more dramatic as I assumed it would be. It was a beautiful bright shade but was definitely more on the berry side than fuchsia. The staining color of this product was very disappointing because they stained very unevenly. It seemed to cling onto the drier parts of my lips but easily faded on the more moisturized portions.
Overall Formula: I did not hate this formula. It was very comfortable for a staining product during and after the initial application. It felt thin and slick going on and looked very glossy which I loved! It became uncomfortable a few hours in when it settled greatly into the lines of my lips. It also felt very drying to the point where I applied chapstick over top. I did not agree with the majority of the marketed claims this product is meant to have. It did not moisturize or feel comfortable on my lips for 6 hours, nor did it contain concentrated pigments that left my lips with long-lasting color.
Overall Packaging: I was actually very happy with the way this product was packaged. The overall look is very classy and it shows the color of the product nicely. The lid twists securely closed and even locks in place with a small click.
Overall Scent: Both had a very nice almost floral scent. It was very appealing and nice for a lip product! The scent screams high-end to me and that is never a bad thing!
Overall Wear: I was not pleased with this products overall wear. It did not stain like I imagined it would and was very drying after a few hours. The overall staining effect of Rose On and On was almost non-existent and with Infinite Fuchsia it was very uneven. 

Bottom Line: I commend L'Oreal for coming out with a dupe for their higher end YSL brand but was overall unsatisfied with it's quality. The formulation went on nicely but just looked to blotchy and dry on my lips. I will be returning both shades of these L'Oreal Paris Color Caresse Wet Shine Stains and be reaching for other products because of 2 reasons...
1. Dryness
2. Uneven stain

Love, Lacey

1 comment:

  1. I agree. I tried this product as well, and found that it left my lips dry. Lip stains seem to always have this effect, that's why I steer away from them now.

    ReplyDelete