Sunday, June 23, 2013

Beauty Subscription Showdown: June 2013

     Hello everyone! I am here to bring you my Birchbox unboxing post for the month of June but with an added bonus! I recently signed up for Ipsy and have received my first Glam Bag! I wanted to finally branch out to a new service because I have been hearing so much hype about Ipsy recently. I feel that with each bag, people are raving more and more! So, here is my video this month showing my first impression of each product and which service won!

     P.S Sorry I am a little late with posting this blog- this video actually went up yesterday! For some odd reason YouTube was not letting me add annotations so I had to do a little trouble shooting. Hope you don't mind!


     First of all: Yes, I realize that I say unopening a lot in this video and that makes no sense AT ALL! As I was editing I noticed it and couldn't stop laughing! With that out of the way though I wanted to touch on a few things that I didn't include in the video revolving around both of these services...


     Of course when I film the video I have no idea how much each sample is going to cost- I always figure it up while I'm editing. So, I was shocked when I realized that Ipsy surpassed Birchbox this month tremendously in value. With that being said, that doesn't make me like the bag that much more than what you saw in the video. Keep in mind that with Ipsy you get a percentage off of all the brands you receive that month ranging from 15-35%. That means the final total that I included in the video would be if you bought everything full price... Also, I do not see anyone buying that eyeliner for $21.00 either, to me some of the prices seemed inflated.

     I also wanted to say that I wasn't pleased with the NYX blush that I received either. Yes, the color is okay and I didn't mind it once it was on my cheeks, but that is not the point I am trying to make. When I received the email that prompted me to sign up for Ipsy, it showed a picture of the regular powder blushes. After filming I got onto the Ipsy site and realized that I could have received either the powder, cream, or mosaic (the one I got) formula. I would have rather received any of the two other formula's in my bag but what do you do?

     I guess we can end on a semi good note now! Ha! What I did like was that I received ALL I repeat ALL full size products in my Glam Bag this month but it definitely is a double edged sword... Would you rather receive full sizes of okay products or smaller samples of higher end, more exciting things? For me I would choose the latter which is why I preferred Birchbox this month.


     Now don't get me wrong, Birchbox was not perfect this month either. Even though I was happier overall with these products than the ones I received from Ipsy, I still would have rather received a different color/variation of two of the products. One being the hair tie and the other being the nail polish. There were 6 hair ties that were part of this nautical collection and I would have honestly rather have gotten any of the other 5... It's not the end of the world though and I don't blame Birchbox! I do put partial blame on them for the nail polish though! There were 4 shades created as part of this Wanderlust collection- a coral, an off-white (the one I got), a lime green, and a lavender. Again, I blame just my luck and the fact that I really have no control of the shade that I received when it comes to anything in Birchbox but I just don't understand the color choice! It says that the off-white color (which literally just looks like a stark white to me) is meant to represent the glow of the mega-watt city, Manhatten at night... To me, a more interesting choice would have been any shade of yellow!

     I will give this company a pat on the back though for their new website and especially their points program. This is where Birchbox has Ipsy hands down beat in my opinion. I am liking everything about their new updates to their site and packaging as well as their way of acquiring points each month. I have received 3-4 makeup items either heavily discounted or free from using my points that I get from rating the products in my box each month. You just can't beat that!

What do you think about these subscriptions? If you had to choose, which one would you sign up for?
Love, Lacey

No comments:

Post a Comment