Thursday, February 20, 2014

Beauty Subscription Showdown: February 2014

Hello everyone! In today's post I will be sharing with you what I received in my Birchbox and Ipsy bag this month. If you are wondering, they are each $10/month and you receive anywhere from 3-5 deluxe side beauty samples. It's such a fun little surprise to get out of your mailbox every four weeks and I always look forward to seeing what I got. Which one will come out on top this month?! Let's find out!

Birchbox:




DDF Ultra Lite Oil Free Moisturizing Dew- I got the chance to use this product last night and I was pretty impressed! A little goes a long way so I didn't need an entire pump to cover my whole face. It moisturized well but for me the texture was a little off. I am a huge fan of really thick creamy moisturizers especially when using them at night and this was the exact opposite of that. I could totally see myself using this more during the summer due to it's light-weight feel.

Agave Healing Oil Treatment- As I say in the video I already own and use this product! I typically apply this after showering to damp hair in place of my detangler. It does a great job at smoothing out my hair and defining it a bit but you do not need this if you already own similar oils. Comparing it to Moroccan Oil I hardly see any differences in the way it performs. 

100% Pure Fruit Pigmented Mascara- I didn't know what to think about this product. As much as I love the idea of using more natural beauty products mascara was pushing it for me. I love a bold mascara that gives my lashes tons of curl, volume, and length and I wasn't sure if this would make the cut. I got what I expected! This mascara came no where close to giving the popular drugstore formulas a run for their money. It was VERY light and left my lashes looking darker and slightly longer… that's it! However, I was shocked by how much I loved this on my bottom lashes. The brush is the perfect size and defines every lash without looking too heavy or clumpy. 



COOLA Tinted Matte SPF for Face- Unfortunately, I haven't had a chance to try this product. From what I can tell it does go on fairly matte but doesn't provide much coverage. I do love that fact that it contains SPF 30 though!

Harvey Prince Hello- This is something I keep going back to! At first I wasn't a huge fan but it's definitely a scent that grows on you. I am going to throw this in my purse to use on the go and like I say in the video, I think it would be perfect for spring and summer!

Ipsy:



Skyn Iceland Fresh Start Mask- Whoa this stuff was weird! Never before have I used a two step face mask. You apply this by starting with the "Blue Clay" then immediately top that with the other packet containing the "Activating Gel". You massage both together into a warming foam then let it sit for 5-10 minutes! The clay went on really nicely and smelled okay but once I reached for the gel I was cracking up- It felt like I was smoothing clear slime all over my face! Somehow I managed to get enough on to begin massaging it around and at this point things were moving along nicely. It did bubble up slightly and felt warm and tingly. Once I washed it off my skin was very tight and dry so I followed up with the Benefit Moisture Prep Toning Lotion.


(Please ignore the messy hair and hoodie)!

'Tini Beauty Cream Shadow + Base- I have officially found the dud of the bunch! I wanted to quickly mention that after swatching this product on the back of my hand while filming it was almost impossible to remove! Luckily it eventually came off but I was a little afraid to put this on my eyelid. I do like the purple tone this has but the formula is a bit off. I applied this with the doe foot applicator all over the lid then blended the edges with my finger to soften them a bit. It ended up being very uneven and creased almost instantly. What a bummer! Thankfully though it was much easier to remove from my eye area.



Zoya Nail Polish in Dot- I was pleasantly surprised by the opacity of this polish- way to go Zoya! On the nails it is truly beautiful and makes my hands look so clean and polished. This is the exact shade that I needed to round out my collection and I can see this becoming that go-to shade when I can't make up my mind. 


Pop Beauty Plump Pout Mini Lipgloss in Fuchsia Freesia- Being that I am not a lip gloss person I wasn't completely turned off by this product! The pigmentation was nice, the applicator was very precise, and the shine was outstanding. The only thing I got hung up on though was the scent. It was so strange to me! In no way did I think this gloss smelled good but I can look past that when I occasionally pull this out.



J. Cat Beauty Eyelashes Style EL20- Quite honestly I don't see myself trying these anytime soon. After my experience with the last pair I was less than impressed. For my taste the band is too think and un-natural looking. When I wear these people are able to notice that I have false lashes on and that is not my goal! I would definitely recommend looking into the Salon Perfect Demi Wispies if you are in need of some new lashes.

That is all that I have for you today! Please make sure to check out my video for initial reactions, prices of samples, and the overall winner for this month!


Love, Lacey

10 comments:

  1. I got the purple cream eyeshadow as well, and found that if I put it over a primer and layered eyeshadow on top it kept it from creasing. I put wnw Nutty in the crease and a sheer sparkly light gold from essence over the purple cream shadow, and with a plum liner it ended up being the perfect taupey purple eye:) I really loved it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for letting me know how it works best for you! I also LOVE Wet-N-Wild Nutty! Isn't it the greatest shade?!

      Delete
  2. Great post!!! Loved seeing what you got in your boxes, I love the look of that lipgloss. The packaging is gorgeous and the colour is amazing! May need to add that to my wishlist!

    Carrie | CazmosWorld

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Carrie! I did love the feel of the packaging and the color definitely surprised me. I totally think if you decided to get it you wouldn't be disappointed! :D

      Delete
  3. Loving that Zoya polish! My first ipsy bag arrives next month. Can't wait! Best of luck with your new school path! Watched your new vlog channel. It was like "behind the scene with Lacey"!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your support Kathleen! Also, I am loving that polish more and more by the day. :)

      Delete
  4. I have nominated you for a Liebster Award, cosmeticsbeautyrainbow.blogspot.com xxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm not sure if you caught up on the issue with Pop Beauty's gloss but a lot of people are speculating that the lip glosses are contaminated and potentially toxic. You should see something related to it on Pop's Facebook. Long story short - mini's are made in Taiwan and don't have the same ingredients as the full size which is made in the US.

    I thought I should let you know since I read that your gloss didn't have a pleasant scent to it. I'd hate for something bad to happen to you because of the gloss. Also, contact ipsy and Pop Beauty so they can get a head count of how many were affected by the bad glosses, plus you'll probably get a replacement.

    Stay healthy and safe! Love your channel and your blog. They're always a highlight in my day when you post a new video/blog up :)

    xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had no idea Ashley! Thanks for drawing it to my attention- that's terrible! I tried doing some research but wasn't able to find anything. I did go and smell the product one more time though and it's REALLY bad. Usually I am not too picky when it comes to scents but this was just down right unbearable… :( You are so sweet though! I'm so glad my videos and posts brighten your day! XOX

      Delete